Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Path to Insanity???

We are several weeks into a new Bible study with our youth group. In this study, we are looking at the "The Path to True Happiness". We have been looking at our tendencies to seek stuff to make us happy instead of seeking God. We love to elevate gifts over Giver. We seek pleasure from everything under the sun except for the only One who gives lasting joy. In this particular blog, I just want to give you a few things to chew on that God has been convicting me (and hopefully our youth group) about lately.

First, I want us to look at the story of a guy in Scripture who literally tried everything under the sun he could think of to bring himself happiness. Let's see what Solomon said about his relentless pursuit of happiness.

Ecclesiastes 2:1-11 says, "I said in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure; enjoy yourself." But behold, this also was vanity. I said of laughter, "It is mad," and of pleasure, "What use is it?" I searched with my heart how to cheer my body with wine—my heart still guiding me with wisdom—and how to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was good for the children of man to do under heaven during the few days of their life. I made great works. I built houses and planted vineyards for myself. I made myself gardens and parks, and planted in them all kinds of fruit trees. I made myself pools from which to water the forest of growing trees. I bought male and female slaves, and had slaves who were born in my house. I had also great possessions of herds and flocks, more than any who had been before me in Jerusalem. I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the treasure of kings and provinces. I got singers, both men and women, and many concubines, the delight of the children of man. So I became great and surpassed all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me. And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I kept my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my reward for all my toil. The I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun."

Now here was a guy who tried to find happiness in every way imaginable. Let's summarize some different things he tried to find happiness in, according to this passage. He tried all kinds of pleasure, enjoyment, laughter, drinking, partying, goofing off, work, career, houses, countless possessions, servants, unlimited money, entertainment, relationships, as much sex as he wanted, and everything his heart desired. This was astounding!!! But even more astounding than all of the things he tried is his assessment of his life after experiencing all of this pleasure. He said that all of it was vanity. It was all pointless. It was all useless. It might have brought temporary pleasure, but it never brought lasting happiness.

If his approach to life doesn't resemble the American dream, then I don't know what does. If you want it, do it. If it makes you happy, go for it. Just follow your heart and you will find happiness. Yet Scripture teaches and life confirms that stuff and relationships, as much temporary pleasure as they might bring, cannot give us lasting joy. It's no surprise that even though America is the most prosperous nation in the history of the world, depression is at an all-time high.

If only I had that job, I would be happy. If only I had that car, I would be happy. If only I had that house, I would be happy. If only I had that spouse, I would be happy. If only I had a different spouse, I would be happy. If only I had kids, I would be happy. Do you see the endless cycle? We are seeking lasting joy from temporary experiences. Meanwhile, we are ignoring the only Source of true and lasting joy. We are treasuring gifts instead of treasuring Giver. And as long as we do that, we will never experience true happiness.

I want to close out this blog by looking at Jesus' teaching on the path to true happiness. It is a familiar passage, but I'm afraid we usually just skim over it instead of really considering the implications of what is said.

Matthew 5:3-12 says, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven... Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted..... Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth..... Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied..... Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy..... Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God..... Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. .... Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven..... Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account... ..Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

In this passage, blessed literally means "happy, fortunate, or blissful". Is it just me, or does this seem like complete insanity at first glance? Happy are the poor in spirit. Happy are those who mourn. Happy are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness. Happy are those who are persecuted for the sake of Christ. This sounds like lunacy! How can those things bring happiness? How can all of the desirable things we seek be unable to bring happiness, while this crazy list is a guarantee to bring lasting happiness?

I hope you will be considering how this passage relates to the way you are living your life. We are going to consider some implications of this passage next week. Until next time, blessings and peace.

1 comment:

Berean Wife said...

Mark,

Did the youth group drive you down the path to insanity? :)

Hope you and Kelli are doing well and just busy.

Berean Wife