Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year’s Blog Resolution

Well, 2008 has come and gone. As 2008 was winding down, I began to examine my life and consider areas where I am in need of improvement. There are several things that I intend to improve on and I am in the process of getting some battle plans together. One of the areas that I think I have been lagging behind in is my focus. I am too easily sidetracked. I work a swing-shift in which I only work 14 out of 28 days. During the past year, it has gotten to the point where I waste a lot of my off time doing unproductive things. Not "bad" things, just meaningless things. I work, I spend time with the family, and I prepare lessons for church. All of those are good things, but what about the rest of the time? Before you know it, it's time to go back to work and I feel that I haven't accomplished anything of value. In short, I have become complacent. I'm not running the race. I'm stuck on a treadmill.
There are several things that I have in mind to combat this tendency. One of the things I have come up with has to do with blogging. The past year I have slacked off on my blogging time. I might go a couple of weeks or a month without posting anything. There is nothing terribly wrong with this. I can't find the command anywhere in Scripture that I am supposed to blog on a regular basis.
I have discovered something about blogging, though. Blogging is a great way to organize your thoughts on different topics. It is helpful to try to express your thoughts in a coherent way. Not only that, but it is also good because it helps me to chew on different Scriptural truths. In other words, it is another way to keep Scripture on my mind. It keeps my mind on Scripture so I can better communicate those truths that I hold dear.
In light of that, I have come up with a blogging schedule. Whether anybody reads them or not, it will be very helpful for me to focus and mull over the Scriptures more. Most of them will be very short and to the point, but I think it will help me immensely to think on the Truth more often. So, here' s the schedule.

Scripture Sunday- I just post a passage of Scripture and let the Word speak for itself.

Monday with MacArthur- A quote or an excerpt from my favorite modern day preacher.

Terrific Hymn Tuesday- The lyrics (and sometimes a video) to one of my favorite hymns.

Whatever Mark G. Feels Like Wednesday- The title says it all.

Thursday's Thoughts from Mark G.- This day is my day to blog my own thoughts.

Family Friday- This could be one of several things. It could be an update on how God is working in my family. Or it might be a passage of Scripture that deals with family. There is a lot of leeway on this one.

Saturday with Spurgeon- A quote or an excerpt from my favorite preacher of all time, Charles Spurgeon

So, there is the game plan. If you ever have time, stop by and check one out. For the most part, they will be very short, concise, and to the point. Until next time, blessings and peace to you...

No comments: