Thursday, January 15, 2009

Divided by Truth

Today's blog is going to be the shortest I've ever done. My mind has been swirling with different things that I could blog about, but one thing in particular has stuck out. Have you ever read a quote that you couldn't get out of your mind? Well, I read one this week.

I better give a little background first. A pastor had been preaching through the book of Romans. He was about to preach on one of the most controversial passages in that book, possibly in the whole Bible. The chairman of the deacon board, one of the most powerful men in town, warned him not to continue. The chairman said the sermon would divide the church.

Curious what the response was? It is the quote that won't get out of my head. So, without further ado, here is the quote along with who said it.

"Better to be divided by truth than united in error." Steve Lawson

Until next time, blessings and peace.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow. Could you imagine being told not to preach something that is the truth, just because it would cause divisions?? Sounds too far-fetched to happen, but sadly, I fear if some people listened to your youth lessons, they would say the same thing.

Gerry Hatrić said...

I think there are truths worth being divided about and truths that aren't, particularly where those truths are not easily discerned and much debate prevails.

Mark said...

I think you summed it up, Mulled Vine. This quote has challenged me to think through which hills are to die on. Like you said, there are some side issues that are open for interpretation. The major doctrines of Christianity are clear and nonnegotiable.