Friday, January 23, 2009

My Boys are Living Up to Their Names

Kelli and I often joke about how our boys are living up to the names we gave them. After the boys and Kelli went to bed tonight, I began to think about how true that is. Allow me to illustrate.

Nathaniel Jacob is our oldest. It took us a little while to decide on his name, but when we came up with it, we knew it was the one. Nathaniel means "gift of God". Nathaniel has no doubt been a gift from God. Kelli and I got married in June of 1996. That December we found out she was pregnant. I think we had tried for only a month or so before we found out she was pregnant. We were ecstatic to put it mildly. Nathaniel has been a blessing in countless ways. From the beginning he has been a Momma's boy. To this day, he fiercely takes up for his Mom (whether she is right or wrong! lol). He loves his dear old Dad, but Mom will always hold a special place in his heart. I was working very long hours on night shift when he was little, so Kelli spent a lot of one on one time with him. Jacob means "supplanter or deceiver". Nathaniel really takes after his namesake in this category. Jacob was a good guy in Scripture, but he sure could be sneaky when he needed to be! That's my Nathaniel. I could tell story after story about the sneaky things he has done. He has definitely given us our share of laughs.

Next came Benjamin Isaac. Remember how I said that Nathaniel was a major Momma's boy? Well, Benjamin went to the other extreme. When he was a baby, it would break Kelli's heart because he didn't want her to get him to sleep. He only wanted his Dad! She could try to get him to sleep for 2 hours. I could snuggle him and 5 minutes later he was sound asleep. It's no wonder that Benjamin means "son of my right hand". Benjamin and I still cut up about how he is the son of my right hand since he is such a Daddy's boy. Nathaniel might take up for Kelli, but Benjamin always takes up for me (even whey I'm wrong). Isaac means "he will laugh". Wouldn't you know that Benjamin would be our little comedian. We knew from the beginning that he would be the class clown. He loves to make people laugh. And when he laughs, he brightens up a whole room. He is always trying to find a funny joke to tell or come up with some kind of practical joke. There is never a dull moment with Benjamin.

And last but not least, Samuel Joseph. I had always dreamed of having 3 boys. After we had 2 we decided that was enough, though. God had another plan for us! Samuel was our little surprise. I'm glad that God does what He thinks is best for us instead of what we think is best. Nathaniel is the Momma's boy. Benjamin is the Daddy's boy. And Samuel is right in the middle. He tries his best to be equal to both of us. Samuel means "His name is God". In the Bible, Hannah named Samuel that because God was the one who answered her prayer for a child. You have to put both of his names together to get the full effect of how he is living up to his name. Joseph means "He will enlarge". In the Bible, Rachel named Joseph that because God had enlarged her family (and would continue to enlarge it). So you've got "His name is God" and "He will enlarge". We thought we were done with children, but God reminded us that we are not God. He is God and He decided to enlarge our family by giving us Samuel. I sure am glad He did. Samuel is one of a kind to put it mildly.

Oh, here is one more interesting thing about the names in our family. Mark means "warrior" and Kelli means "warrior woman". Yet another example of how we are made for each other.

Until next time, blessings and peace to you...

No comments: