Saturday, January 24, 2009

Advice to Teachers

The following is an excerpt from "The Soul Winner" by Charles Spurgeon.

"Let every teacher weigh these words of Paul, "But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children: so, being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us." The genuine soul-winner knows what this means. For my own part, when the Lord helps me to preach, after I have delivered all my matter, and have fired off my shot so fast that my gun has grown hot, I have often rammed my soul into the gun, and fired my heart at the congregation, and this discharge has, under God, won the victory. God will bless by His Spirit our hearty sympathy with His own truth, and make it do that which the truth alone, coldly spoken, would not accomplish. Here, then, is the secret. You must, dear teacher, impart to the young your own soul; you must feel as if the ruin of that child would be your own ruin. You must feel that, if the child remains under the wrath of God, it is to you as true a grief as if you were under that wrath yourself. You must confess the child's sins before God as if they were your own, and stand as a priest before the Lord pleading on its behalf."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,
What a great quote. It is no wonder that Spurgeon was called the "prince of preachers." I don't think I've ever read something by him that didn't cause me to stop, think, and gaze on the glory of Christ. Amazing!
Hey, if you're a Spurgeon fan, go check out this amazing Spurgeon collection. It is a really great deal.
Cheers
_ryan